Activist Groups Urge Obama to Reject Boy Scout Honor
From Fox News:
Activist groups, including Scouting for All, urge President Obama not to accept the honorary Presidency of the Boy Scouts of America until they stop discriminating.
Scouting for All is a 100% Volunteer 501-(c)(3) Nonprofit Organization. Every dollar donated goes toward our education and advocacy programs, and is tax deductible.
October 6, 2002
For Immediate Release
Please Distribute to the Media and Friends
Contact: Scott Cozza, Pres .Scouting for All, 707-778-0564,
Scouting for All Launches Its 3rd National Annual Rally Recognizing GLBTQ Youth (Boy Scouts
of America, "STOP hurting Children") October 6-13, 2002
We are protesting the Boy Scouts of America's discriminatory policy against GLBTQ and non-theist youth and adults.
The Boy Scouts of America's National Leadership is violating its own Scout Oath and Law when it discriminates against
anyone. A representative of Roy Williams, Executive Chief Scout National BSA, recently said, "The National
Office just wants to put this issue behind us...". This statement reflects BSA National's total disregard
for GLBTQ and non-theist youth and adults. It's total
disregard for human rights and the needs of our youth. The Boy Scouts of America is not a religious organization.
It is nonsectarian. In its own By-laws it states this fact. Who has granted the national leadership the right to
discriminate when scouting was founded on the premise that it shall be an outdoor program to all youth? BSA STOP
hurting children! We must embrace all of our children, not just some of them.
Supporters of Scouting for All is sending the BSA a loud and clear message that "We are not going to put our
youth behind us!
We invite you to join us at a rally in your area and or organize one if there isn't any and sign up on the Scouting
for All web page in the National Rally menu, www.scoutingforall.org
The following are some of the rally sites and organizers throughout the country:
- Arizona, Phoenix, Brian Davis, 480-540-9327
- California, Porterville, Patrick Green 1-866-472-3530
- California, San Diego, Howard Menzer, 858-268-2853
- California, Santa Cruz, Ted Altenberg, 831-429-6291
- California, Santa Rosa, Steven Cozza, Eagle Scout and Petaluma High School and local GSA's
- Connecticut, 3 locations, David Knapp, Eagle Scout, 203-453-1395
- Georgia, Savannah, Robert Ludgate, Coalition of First City Network, 912-964-5095
- Hawaii, Honolulu, Michael J. Golojuch, Jr. 808-672-9050
- Michigan, Flint, PFLAG, Frank Burger, 810-593-0015
- New York, Albany, Chris Hayes, 518-689-8266
- North Carolina, Winston-Salem, Matt Hill, 336-995-6353 GSA RJ Reyonlds High School GSA Gay Straight Alliance
- Ohio, Cleveland, Lance, 877-616-6500 ext. 798
- Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, Nathan Batcheldor, 405-524-5577
- Virginia, Winchester, Eric, Out and About Youth, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Washington, Renton, Aaron Chandler, Young Democracts of Lindberg HS / GSA, lindbergGSA@onebox.com
- Wisconsin, Madison, Dennis Coyier, 608-839-5452
A Message To The Boy Scouts of America's National Office
"NO WE ARE NOT PUTTING THIS ISSUE BEHIND US"