November 11, 2002
Scouting and Religion: Atheist Scout, Darrell Lambert, Eagle Gets Kicked out of the BSA
On scouting: I have had the pleasure of doing some research on scouting and religion, in my
job at the Humanist association of Norway. Here are some of the results that might interest the list:
Most scouting organisations are in the the World Organization of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts WAGGGS and the
World Organization of the scout Movement WOSM. Outside these, there are a large number of smaller organisations,
some 50 scouting and parascouting organisations in Germany, some of them gathered in the World
Federation of Independent
These might differ from WAGGS and WOSM organisations either by being to "right-wing" or to "left-wing".
the latter, like the italian Assiscoutorganisation, can be explicitly open to any belief and disbelief. There is
an international organisation of "Secular and pluralist " scouting organisations inside WAGGS and WOSM,
the THE INTERNATIONAL UNION OF PLURALISTES/SECULAR SCOUTS - GUIDES
There is also a francophone"laïque" international organisation:" Coopération Francophone
des Associations de Scoutisme Laïque".(page down at the moment) Relevant adresses, although not all in
For France - http://www.eedf.asso.fr/index.ht
Belgium - http://www.wouw.org/index.php">
Italy - http://www.cngei.it/
Catalonia - http://www.escoltes.org/
there are also other organisations, not members of the UILP, but with a non-religious oath:
the czhec - http://www.skaut.cz/nove/english/index.php3?s1=4&s2=1&s3=4&s4=0&s5=0&s6=0
and slovene - http://www.zts.org/
some examples of oaths:
france - http://worldguiding.anzagl.com/fghij/franc1.htm - Les Eclaireuses et Eclaireurs de France
Girl Scout Age: 11-15 Promise One of these two versions is to be chosen, according to personal conviction: I promise
on my honour to make every effort to: serve my country and encourage friendship between people, help others at
all times and to live by our Law. or I promise on my honour, with God's help, to make every effort to: serve my
country and encourage friendship between people; help others on every occasion and to live by our law Girl Scout
Law. Motto Always prepared to give cheerfully the help you are asked for, to take a decision, to learn and to act.
Law A Girl Scout
- is loyal.
- is clean and controls her words and deeds.
- smiles even under difficulties.
- enjoys work and endeavour and does nothing by halves.
- makes herself useful.
- knows how to obey and is a good teammember.
- respects the work and belongings of all.
- listens to others and respects their beliefs.
- practices Girl Scout fellowship.
- loves and protects nature and life.
Junák - Svaz skautu a skautek eské republiky
(Association of Scouts and Guides of the Czech Republic)
Guide/Scout Age: 12-15 Promise On my honour I promise that I will do my best - to serve the Highest Truth and Love
faithfully at all times, to fulfil all my own duties and to observe the Guide/ Scout laws, to be prepared to help
my country and my neighbours by all my soul and body. (Optional clause: May God help me so)
- A Guide/Scout speaks the truth.
- A Guide/Scout can be trusted and is loyal.
- A Guide/Scout is useful for the society and helps others.
- A Guide/Scout is a friend to all people of good will and sister/brother of all Guides and Scouts.
- A Guide/Scout is courteous.
- A Guide/Scout protects nature and valuable human products.
- A Guide/Scout obeys her/his parents, superiors and Guide/Scout leaders.
- A Guide/Scout is of cheerful mind.
- A Guide/Scout is thrifty.
- A Guide/Scout is pure in thought, word and deeds.
belgium - Federatie voor Open Scoutisme (FOS)
Guide Age: 11-13 Promise I promise, on my honour, to try: to be true to God, King, Country and company, to live
up to the Guide Law, to do a good deed every day. or I promise, on my honour, to try: to be true to a Higher Ideal,
King, Country and company, to live up to the Guide Law, to do a good deed every day. Motto Be Prepared
- A Guide is loyal and speaks the truth.
- A Guide respects the convictions of others.
- A Guide is useful.
- A Guide is a friend to all.
- A Guide is courteous.
- A Guide knows how to obey.
- A Guide appreciates nature.
- A Guide does not become discouraged.
- A Guide is a good worker.
- A Guide respects herself and others. <A
Ukraine - http://worldguiding.anzagl.com/uvwxyz/ukraine.htm
Age: 11-16 Promise On my honour I promise that I will do my best: To do my duty to my country, Ukraine, To aspire
to the highest spiritual ideals, To help other people, To keep the Guide Law.
- A Guide's honour can be trusted.
- A Guide is loyal.
- A Guide's duty is to be useful and to help other people.
- A Guide is a friend to all and a sister to all Guides.
- A Guide is polite.
- A Guides is a friend to animals; she loves and preserves nature.
- A Guide is conscientious.
- A Guide is cheerful in all difficulties.
- A Guide is thrifty.
- A Guide is pure in thought, word and deed.