Activist Groups Urge Obama to Reject Boy Scout Honor
From Fox News:
Activist groups, including Scouting for All, urge President Obama not to accept the honorary Presidency of the Boy Scouts of America until they stop discriminating.
Scouting for All is a 100% Volunteer 501-(c)(3) Nonprofit Organization. Every dollar donated goes toward our education and advocacy programs, and is tax deductible.
NOTE: These links may take you to pages maintained by other organizations. Scouting for All
is not responsible for their content. Please report "dead" links to email@example.com
- WORLD ORGANIZATION OF THE SCOUT MOVEMENT
- Scouting Association of Finland -- The Guides and Scouts of Finland does not have any particular "policy" on gays in Scouting. It simply
is not an issue in Finland. The Finland Scouting Association's "starting point is that guiding and scouting
should be open to everyone".
- Swedish Guide and Scout Association
- The Baden Powell Scouts Association - The Baden-Powell Scouts Association is a traditional Scouting association that follows the original
programs and rank structure of the Founder, Lord Baden-Powell as he wrote in "Scouting for Boys." It
seeks to keep alive today the movement of yesterday. Active in 12 countries worldwide they are members of the World
Federation of Independent Scouts. Coed scouting association. They do not discriminate like the Boy Scouts of America.
- The Canadian Independent Scout Association - The Canadian Independent Scout Association are traditional Scouts. They teachings and practices of
the Founder, Lord Baden-Powell, as found in his book "Scouting for Boys." It is coed, and allows membership
to everyone regardless of their background. They do not discriminate like the Boy Scouts of America.
- The British Boy Scouts of Canada - They are also not members of WOSM. Canada since 1907, they
actually predate the WOSM, nationally recognized association, Scouts Canada. They do not discriminate like the
Boy Scouts of America. They do not have a web site, but they do have an email address it's: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Honorary President of the World Scout Foundation is His Majesty [King Carl XVI Gustaf] the
King of Sweden says Scouting In Sweden Does Not Discriminate - Web Page of the World Scout Federation - The Honorary President of the World
Scout Foundation is His Majesty [King Carl XVI Gustaf] the King of Sweden. Scouting is open to all, regardless
of race or creed, in accordance with the purpose, principles and methods conceived by its founder Robert BadenPowell.
312 781 6262
202 467 2600
- The Federation of German Scout Organizations (RdP) and the Union
of German Girl Guide Association (RDP) Resolution Opposing the Boy Scouts of America's Policy of Discrimination
Against Gay Youth and Adults
- Workgroup for Gayscouts of Sweden - Web page to Gay Scouts of Sweden
- On scouting: I have had the pleasure of doing some research
on scouting and religion, in my job at the Humanist association of Norway. Here are some of the results that might
interest the list:
- Scouting in Ireland: Irish
Scout Leader, "We don't discriminate. I wasn't aware of the anti-gay stance of US scouting. I was shocked
to be honest (about the Boy Scouts of America). I thought Scouting was about teaching people that we are all the
same and should be respected.
- www.badenpowellscoutsireland.com - An independent Traditional Scout Association. We have the beliefs of the founder. And that is of brotherhood
worldwide, no matter what country class OR CREED they may belong to.
- Scouts Canada - Scouts Canada does
not Discriminate against gays, girls, or atheists Our mission To contribute to the education of young people, through
a value system based on the Scout Promise and Law, to help build a better world where people are self-fulfilled
as individuals and play a constructive role in society.
- Gay Scouts of Mexico
I'm Eric sub - chef of Scouts Gays of México we exist since 2001, at this moment we working in Mexico City
and two states more, we are already 30 members at all, working every weekend at town and we have almost every month
a camp near the city. We organize culture activities, scouts activities and also hiking and rafting activities
during our long weekends.
Since our grupo born we can say that we have very much successful time, many gay people are looking for us in our
regular places of reunion. One of our goals are making contact to other gay groups to have more friends in our
Receive our greatest greetings and left hand shake from Mexico City and Scouts Gays of México.
- Gay and Lesbian Scouts of Sweden
- Ireland has an inclusive Scouting Radio Talk Show - http://www.scoutingradio.com/
Scouting Radio is for ALL MEMBERS OF THE SCOUTING BROTHERHOOD, PAST OR PRESENT - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE YOUR SCOUTING
STORIES OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH SCOUTING! For More information on Scouting Radio Please email us at email@example.com
or Post a letter to Scouting Radio,Suite 60, 184 Lower Rathmines Road, Dublin 6, Republic of Ireland
- YMCA Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus - Alexei Dozortsev, Chairman of Scouts program "Our organization working with many programms (including human
rights programs).We will be very glad to work with other organizations and build partnership programs."
- World Federation of Independent Scouts's
North America Regional Council
- Youth Education Support (YES)
P.O. Box 45818-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
...YES makes the difference
YES (Youth Education Support) International (www.yes.or.ke) is a non profit scout friends project in Africa providing
education support to
vulnerable young people and especially the orphans with an aim to encourage their physical, mental, social and
Youth Links / Diversity Rocks
This link menu, Youth Links / Diversity Rocks is dedicated to all youth who enter the Scouting
for All web site. Enjoy! If you have any suggestions to add more "cool" links to this section of our
web site then please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will review them for possible posting. We are looking for web sites that offer support to all
- GLBT National Help Center
- A Trek to the Base Camp of Mt. Everest (Chomolungma) that Other Scouts May Learn From: Coming Face to Face with Death
- Steven's Web Page www.stevencozza.com
- Family Pride Family Pride is the national non-profit organization committed to securing family equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer parents, guardians and allies. Our work consists of strategically linked initiatives—broad in scope, but simple in vision—love, justice, family, equality. We make change. We share information. We build community. We are visible.
- Tiffany Club of New England
- Acceptance of gay students improving But hostility still abounds,
- www.affirmation.org - Affirmation
- Gay and Lesbain Mormons - A social, educational and advocacy group for the support of current and former GLBT
Latter-day Saints, their families and friends.
- Bay Area Gay-Straight Alliance Network (San Francisco Bay
- Camp Quest - is the first
secular summer camp in US history for the children of humanists, freethinkers, agnostics and atheists. Since 1996,
Camp Quest has provided a unique week-long event free of supernatural appeals, an exploration of the natural world,
and as much outdoor fun as we can pack into those few days. Camp Quest's acceptance of campers and staff regardless
of belief or orientation is well known. This successful program is being copied to several new locations this summer,
in Ontario, Minnesota, and Michigan, fully endorsed by Edwin Kagin and Camp Quest (Classic).
Len Zanger (director)
Camp Quest of Michigan, Inc.
P. O. Box 656
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48303
- Children's Express: World Wide News Network
- COLAGE (CHILDREN of LESBIANS, GAYS and EVERYWHERE) providing support, education, and advocacy for kids of all ages, including kids of bisexual and transgender
- The Colin Higgins Foundation - "Furthering A Humanitarian Vision" Steven Cozza, Eagle Scout, Cofounder of Scouting For All was honored
to be one of the Courage Award Recipients in 2000.
- Dave - An UK Gay Youth - This is
a very thoughtful and sensitive youth web page reaching out to gay youth. Dave shares his personal story of coming
"out" in his attempt to reach out to his gay brothers and sisters as they discover who they have come
blessed to be.
- Day of Silence website
- Equality Fauquier/Culpeper (EFC) -
is a two-county wide non-partisan organization committed to the advocacy for equal rights for the gay, lesbian,
bisexual, transgendered, (GLBT) questioning and straight community united for the cause of equality. We foster
a friendly community for GLBT people and their friends in Fauquier/Culpeper Counties, Virginia offering support
- Gay students demand schools recognize law
- The GLBT Year Book - is an on-line
gallery of the middle and high school year book pictures organized by graduation year, of gay, lesbian, bisexual,
and transgender adults from across the United States and Canada. Its purpose is to show GLBT youth that they're
not alone. Sponsored by PFLAG-Reno and Safe Schools Coalition of Northern Nevada
- GLSEN-- Gay, Lesbian, and Straight
- High school students and parents debate gay-straight, diversity
- Homosexual Information Center
- Love Makes A Family -The mission
of Love Makes A Family is to work for social change: to create a supportive environment within our communities
and to provide a public voice for all families, especially those subjected to social, economic and legal discrimination
due to sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.
- Matthew Shepard Foundation in memory of Matthew
- MECA Marriage Equality California - Our Mission: To secure the freedom and the right of same-sex couples to enter into legally-recognized
civil marriage, having all the federal and state benefits and responsibilities which that entails.
- National Center for Lesbian Rights Web Site
- The National Transgender Advocacy Coalition (NTAC)
- National Youth Advocacy Coalition The
National Youth Advocacy Coalition (NYAC) is the only national organization focused solely on improving the lives
of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) youth through advocacy, education, and information.
- Out and About Youth, Virginia - this organization serves GLBTQ youth in Winchester, VA and the surrounding areas ages 12-23. it provides
social activities, organization in the schools and the community at large, and provides resources. we support Scouting
for All because we believe that they are doing a great job in serving our community and helping us in this fight
against discrimination. i for one use to be a boy scout and loved it, many of the youth in our group are scouts
as well. thanks for everything you guys do for us.
- Out for Equity - Out for
Equity believes that every student, staff, and family deserves a safe and affirming school environment that promotes
positive self-esteem, respect for others, and academic success. We proudly support Scouting for All and its work
in building hate-free communities that value diversity.
- The OUTLET a GLBTQ Youth
Center of the Mid-Peninsula, located in Palo Alto, California - Check it out!
- Positive Images - a support group
for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, queer and questioning youth in Sonoma County, California, north of San
Francisco. Positive Images says, "BE PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE."
- Project 10 reaching out to gay youth
- Rachel Miller's Web Site -
Ending Discrimination in Church and Society Mainstreaming Cross-Dressers & Other LGBTQ People
- Robbie Kirkland - "Remember Me!" - "The Dedication and Celebration for our Son"
- The San Francisco LGBT Center is
dedicated to the LGBT community. The Youth Space at the Center is named after Steven Cozza, Eagle Scout and cofounder
of Scouting for All
- Safe Schools Coalition of Washington
- The speech which Leslie Powell
Sadasivan did not get to give at the Millenium March due to time constraints
- Scouting for All Protest
Boy Scouts of America, Chicago May 19-21 2004
- Sexual Identity Hard-Wired by Genetics - Study
- Sexual Minority Youth Assistance League - SMYAL is the only youth community center dedicated to meeting the needs of youth ages 13-21 in the metropolitan
Washington, DC area who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex, as well as those questioning their
sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Southern Poverty Law Center - The
Center, which began as a small civil rights law firm in 1971, is now internationally known for its legal victories
against white supremacist groups, its sponsorship of the Civil Rights Memorial and its national tolerance education projects.
- Spectrum Marin County, California
- The Voice Project - Works to
foster an assuring, resourceful, and SAFE atmosphere for the world's LGBT/Q youth here and abroad through internet
outreach. The Voice Project provides a voice for LGBT/Q and supportive youth.
- Youth First Texas - "Putting
Youth First for the Future. Our Mission is to provide support to GLBTQ youth"
- Youth Outreach - GLBT Youth Outreach
Center of Madison, Wisconsin
- Youth Pride Alliance, Washington, DC - Mission - Celebrating the dignity and courage of all young people as they discover their identity as gay, lesbian,
bisexual, transgendered or straight: and challenging society to stop the hate, the violence, the fear, the isolation
and the denial. Every young person deserves to live, love and be loved.
- Ireland has an inclusive Scouting Radio Talk Show - http://www.scoutingradio.com/ Scouting Radio is for ALL MEMBERS OF THE SCOUTING
BROTHERHOOD, PAST OR PRESENT - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE YOUR SCOUTING STORIES OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH SCOUTING! For More
information on Scouting Radio Please email us at email@example.com or Post a letter to Scouting Radio,Suite
60, 184 Lower Rathmines Road, Dublin 6, Republic of Ireland
- Day of Silence April 13, 2005
- GLBT Youth Magazine
- The Top 10 Companies for GLBT Employees
NON-THEISTS IN SCOUTING
GAYS IN SCOUTING
SCOUTS TAKE A STAND
Thousands of Eagle Scouts, adult leaders, and others in Scouting (Cub Scout Packs, Boy Scout
Troops, Venture Scout Crews, and Sea Scout Ships) including Councils as well as people outside of Scouting (nationally
and internationally) continue to sign Steven's Petition and or write letters of protest to the Boy Scouts of America
decrying its discriminatory practices. While we all believe in the scouting movement we also believe the Boy Scouts
of America is giving our youth a very harmful and damaging message that is rooted in homophobia, sexism, bigotry,
and intolerance of others spiritual beliefs. The following are a few examples of "Scouters" taking a
stand. We encourage all those with courage and a sense of social justice to stand with us.
- Alpha Phi Omega-
the orginal Scouting Fraternity Joshua Collier, with a scout background and a member of Alpha Phi Omega begins
a grassroots campaign to end discrimination in the Boy Scouts of America
- Tim Curran's web site
- Troop 260, San Jose, California
- Sea Scouts, Richmond, California
- Baden Powell Council, New York, The Pool Geller Case
- Indian Head Council, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Narragansett Council 546, Providence, Rhode Island
- Den 2, Pack 320 - Ashland, Oregon - Local den objects
to Boy Scouts' policy on gays, withdraws
- Former Den
Leader, New Alexandria, Pennsylvania
- Eagle Scout, Steven Cozza, Petaluma, California
- John F. Gorman, Den Leader, Pack 8, Petaluma, CA. Redwood
Empire Council, tells the BSA his Den will not discriminate.
- Swedish Scouting
Association Speaks Out
- Troop 433, Alcante,
Spain Collects 196 signatures for Steven's Petition Campaign (English)
- Life long member of the British Scout Association "speaks out"
- Kirk Thomas,
Eagle Scout Speaks "Out"
- Pack 43 Corte Madera, California Anti-discrimination Statement
- Den 5 Pack 27,Sebastopol, California of the Redwood Empire Council,
- Piedmont Scout
Council Will Not Follow the National BSA Policy of Discrimination
- Troop 103 East Harlem, New York Tells the BSA They Won't Discriminate
- Parents of Troop 335 West Lafayette, Indiana Tell the BSA Discrimination
- Berkeley Cub Scout Pack 30's Position on Gay Scouts and Leaders
- Pack 28, Santa Barbara, California Tells the Boy Scouts of America
They Won't Teach Discrimination
- Scout Exec Comes Out
- Den 7 Pack 1 of Los Angeles California Opposes BSA Policy
- Troop 110 Resolution, Portland, OR, Pioneer Dist. Casade Pacific
- Troop 28 of Providence, RI Says the Narragansett Council May Need
to Succeed from BSA National
- OUT SCOUTS Is A Group Made Up Of
Scouts Speaking Out Against the Bigotry of the BSA Toward Gay and Atheist Youth and Adults: OUT SCOUTS is a project
of an Ohio University student organization and like Scouting for All is trying to get the BSA to drop its policies
banning gays and atheists. We hope to work very closely with Scouting for All to achieve our common goals.
REFERENCES FOR INFORMATION ON SEXUAL
GAY MORMONS TAKE A STAND
SUPPORT FROM RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS
- Dignity USA: Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered Catholics
- Episcopal Church of Newark New Jersey
- Episcopal Diocese of California
- Episcopal Church at Their 73rd General Convention held in Denver,
CO Adpoted the Following Resolution in Response to the Boy Scouts of America's Policy of Discrimination
- First United Lutheran Church · San Francisco CA
- LGBT Bible Christians - Helping lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered Christians (and those who are away from Christ but wish to
explore returning) to grow in faith, self-worth, and awareness of God's love and plan for their lives as LGBT people
"I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom
and revelation, so that you may know Him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in
order that you may know the hope to which He has called you, the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints,
and His incomparably great power for us who believe." (Ephesians 1:17-19)
- Metropolitan Community Church Announces Theological Breakthrough
- The National Conference for Community and Justice - The National Conference for Community and Justice, founded in
1927 as The National Conference of Christians and Jews, is a human relations organization dedicated to fighting
bias, bigotry and racism in America. NCCJ promotes understanding and respect among all races, religions and cultures
through advocacy, conflict resolution and education. We support the efforts of Scouting for All to STOP discrimination
within the Boy Scouts of America
- Statement from More Light Presbyterians on the
Boy Scouts of America - More Light Presbyterians, a group seeking the full participation
of LGBT people of faith in the life, ministry, and witness in the Presbyterian Church (USA), has issued guidance
to inclusive churches that sponsor boy scout troups.
- Reform Judaism, Religious Action Center
- Religious Society of Friends General Conference FGC Statement on
the Boy Scout's of America
- Unitarian Universalist Association
- United Methodist General Board of Church and Society
- United Church of Christ
- A Public Statement from Metropolitan Community Churches
- ADL Anti-Defamation League - The Anti-Defamation
League of San Diego, California on this day of December 17, 2001, presents Steven Cozza, Eagle Scout and Cofounder
of Scouting for All with a plaque with the following inscription: "You must be the change you want to see
in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Presented to STEVEN COZZA for his commitment, dedication and inspiration.
12th Annual Student Human Relations Conference, 12/17/01
"The Anti-Defamation League supports the efforts of Scouting for All to end the discrimination of the Boy
Scouts of America"
- American Library Association - Gay, Lesbian,
and Bisexual Task Force
- The Alliance of Secular Humanist Societies
- Is a network created for mutual support among local and regional societies of secular humanists.
- American Humanist Association
- American Humanist Association Resolution on the Boy Scouts of America
- NOSHA is dedicated to the promotion and enhancement of freethought, secularism, skepticism, non-theism and
humanism. We support the efforts of Scouting for All to work for social justice within the Boy Scouts of America
and society at large. We must stand against all forms of discrimination. The BSA discriminates against gay and
non-theist youth and adults. The New Orleans Secular Humanist Association http://www.nosha.secularhumanism.net
- Bay Area (San Francisco Bay Area) Lawyers For Individual Freedom
(BALIF) Proudly presents its 2001 Community service Award to Scouting For All for its
devotion to the advocacy of human rights and social justice on this day of
March 8, 2001.
- Executive Board Resolution of the Communications Workers of America
on Discrimination by the Boy Scouts of America
- GLAAD-- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
- Humanists of Florida Association - Resolution on the Boy Scouts
- The National Association of Social Workers
- NGLTF National Gay and Lesbian Task
Force a leader in grassroots training, organizing and mobilization for human rights. NGLTF supports Scouting For
- NOW -- National Organization for Women
- PFLAG-- Parents, Families and Friends
of Lesbians and Gays
- Philadelphia Ethical Society Takes A Stand Against The Bigotry
Of The Boy Scouts of America
- Harryette Ehrhardt, State Representative from Texas, Proclamation to
Scouting for All
- Sonoma County Commission on Human Rights
- Straight But Not Narrow
- San Francisco, City and County
- Sonoma County Center for Peace & Justice
- Letter From The Vice President
of the United States of America, Al Gore
- Western North Carolina Citizens For An End
To Institutional Bigotry
Scouting For All Regional Websites